Sunday, April 07, 2013

Sellout!?! at FAMU April 17-18, 2013



T’Keyah Crystal Keymáh returns to Florida A & M University with fellow FAMU graduate Broadway performer Bryan C. Jones in the debut workshop performances of “Sellout!?!”  This show, with music, chronicles the career of two performers who have different perspectives on the meaning of success.  Is it making it to the top, or is it making a difference? “Sellout!?!” also shows glimpses of other professionals grappling with the same dilemma.  The shows will take place April 17 and April 18, 2013 in FAMU’s Lee Hall Auditorium 1601 S Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, in Tallahassee.  The performances are part of the FAMU Lyceum Series.

Keymáh is known worldwide as a series regular on Fox’s Emmy Award-winning In Living Color, CBS’ COSBY, and Disney’s That’s So Raven.  Her stage performances include her acclaimed solo shows, Some of My Best Friends, and “Don’t Get Me Started;” the Moscow production of John Henry Redwood’s drama, The Old Settler; and her variety show, “T'Keyah Live!” Keymáh has a long list of charitable and philanthropist endeavors including her work with NAACP (ACT-SO), Institute for Black Parenting, and The T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh scholarships and Meharry Medical School and FAMU. “The show will be entertaining, but when I work this hard, I also want to create something of substance,” says Keymáh. “Black people in America always deal with the question of whether success for us means selling out... I am very grateful to have FAMU’s support and excited to work with Bryan again!” 

It feels great for the show’s life to begin at FAMU,” say Jones, “because I am indebted to FAMU for my theater life.” Jones appeared in the Broadway shows: The First Lady with Vickie Winans and Clifton Davis and the long running hit, A Chorus Line.“ Currently, he is a national HIV/AIDS advocate and activist.  He will take a break from “Sellout!?!”  rehearsals at FAMU to travel to Washington, DC on April 10, 2013 to speak to Congress on HIV/ AIDS related issues.   His one-man show, “A.I.D.S. - ... And I Die Slowly” has toured the country for three years including a performance at the 2012 International AIDS Conference.  Keymáh and Jones met while students at FAMU appearing in the Essential Theatre production, “Memories of a FAMU Tradition.”
There will be a talk back with the audience after each FAMU performance of “Sellout!?!”   . For more information, call (850) 599-3413.     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello there and thank you for your information – I've definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this web site, as I experienced to reload the website many times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes
affect your placement in google and can damage your
high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.

Well I'm adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again soon.

My blog post jocuri noi aventura